Skip to main content

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture

Just arrived home from our little retreat down south. Hubby and I decided to take an impromptu break over the long weekend. It was sooooo good to just 'escape' and chill out for a couple of days.

We stayed at the Empire Retreat near Yallingup (thanks to Cherrie who gave us her unused voucher for 2 nights stay). It was a 3-hour drive down south from Perth. Inspired by the Mamma Mia movie and the ABBA music at our church's recent Search for a Star, I decided to make the theme of our road trip soundtrack: ABBA!!!

Hubby was very amused as he sat in the driver's seat, next to a spastic, head-bobbing, finger-snapping, shoulder-jerking creature in the passenger seat... as I grooved to familiar tunes like 'Mamma Mia', 'Dancing Queen', 'Super Trooper' etc. It was so infectious, soon he was humming along too!

There was one particular track which I hadn't heard in a long time and made me tear a little, because it made me think of my mum.

Here is the Mamma Mia the movie Meryl Streep version of 'Slipping Through My Fingers' dedicated to mum:



And just in case you'd like to hear the more familiar original rendition with Anni-Frid and Agnetha:



Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can't deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didn't
And why I just don't know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...

Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

Comments

  1. The lyrics echoed our very thoughts. Just last Tuesday, dad and I were driving back from Keningau (yes, he took some time off his busy schedule to stay with me) and we were reminiscing about our children, our parents, our relatives and we agreed that it was important to 'seize the moment'. That was why we took a trip to Newcastle. We didn't want to wait till Paul graduate to see the place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »