Skip to main content

Buddha’s fruit herbal tea

A bout of cold-flu-bug has been hovering over our household lately. Nathan had suffered from a very bad cough and runny nose and my mum has been battling a case of the sniffles. As for me, I’ve been plagued with a couple of extremely painful and persistent mouth ulcers.

I was taught that all these type of symptoms are associated with a traditional Chinese concept known as ‘heatiness’. Pretty much every type of illness and health issue in the entire traditional Chinese world is supposedly linked to the balance of ‘heaty’ and ‘cooling’ elements in the body.

To counteract the symptoms of heatiness and avoid any resulting illness associated with this condition, we are told to avoid ‘heaty’ foods and to drink ‘cooling’ herbal drinks.

One of the most popular ‘cooling’ herbal remedy is Loh Han Kor tea.

Loh han kor or Buddha’s fruit can be found in the dried herbal section at  any oriental store.

DSC02397

The fruit consists of a solid outer shell, with a soft furry texture inside. Although it may not look like it, the fruit is very very very sweet. In fact, it is almost 300 times sweeter than sugar!

To make a basic loh han kor drink, all you need to do is break open the fruit and throw the whole thing in (shell and all) into 1-2 litres of water and simmer it for around 45 minutes. The sweetness of the tea can be very strong, so you can dilute it slightly with more water as needed.

If you’d like to get a little fancier, here is a simple recipe to make loh han kor herbal tea
(recipe adapted from Kuali.com and messywitchen.com)

Ingredients
1 whole dried loh han kor or Buddha’s fruit (gently crushed open)
8-10 dried red dates or jujubes
6-9 dried longan*
80 grams rock sugar
2 litres water

(*Longan can be eliminated if you want the tea to be more cooling as longan fruit is considered to be heaty)

DSC02396

Place all ingredients except longan into a pot, bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes. Add longan in at this point and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes.

Serve hot or cold.

DSC02399

Happy Friday!

~~~

Linking up to…

Photobucket

Comments

  1. Wow! Shall make this some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's really very simple to make and the whole family will love it

      Delete
  2. Ohh.. so this is the fresh loh han kor, I used to drink the packet ones lol. Looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packet ones will also do for what you need, but the authentic one is also not difficult to make - and you can make more and keep it in the fridge to drink more later ^_^

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Thanks for linking up with the Weekend Cookbook. I love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. It's great to be able to connect via your linky. Appreciate you hosting and putting it together every week for us all to come together to share from our personal cookbooks

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »