Skip to main content

Lontong / sayur lodeh

I made lontong (sayur lodeh) for dinner last night. This was one of my favourite dishes from my mum's kitchen. Could never have it often enough.


I never made lontong on my own before. I only had a rough recipe my mum sent via email some time ago and my memory from observing my mum to guide me.

The ingredients require a little bit of preparation beforehand, but the cooking part is fairly straightforward.

Ingredients
2-3 pips garlic, chopped finely
2 pieces shallots (or quarter red onion), chopped finely
2 tspn tumeric/kunyit powder
1 inch belacan
1 quarter cabbage, shredded roughly
1 handful long beans, sliced diagonally
2-3 carrots, julienned
1 potato, julienned
2 ½ cups coconut milk
1-2 cups vegetable/chicken stock
2 pieces beancurd, sliced into small cubes
Foo chuk (beancurd sheets)
Tang hoon (glass noodles)
2-3 tbspn tamarind water or lime juice

Heat oil in pot, brown garlic and shallots/onions until fragrant. Add tumeric and belacan, and fry a minute or two. Add cabbage, long beans, carrots and potato and continue frying a few minutes until vegetables start to soften. Pour in 2 cups of coconut milk (reserve remaining half cup for later) and vegetable stock and simmer for a few minutes (adjust the amount of stock depending on how soupy you want the dish to be). Add beancurd, foo chuk, tang hoon, tamarind water and remaining coconut milk. Season to taste.

Serve with ketupat (rice cakes) and sambal.

I served the lontong with sambal ikan bilis. To make this, just slice up an onion and fry in some oil until soft. Then pour in about a cup sambal sauce and a cup of ikan bilis (you can fry the ikan bilis beforehand for a crunchier texture).

Soooo good... tastes like home.

Comments

  1. One inch belacan seems a lot. Sure it's not too strong? Should be just a hint - 1/2 inch (mum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agak-agak... that was based an email you sent me.... I actually used a little bit less. Difficult to say though... depends on the shape and size of the original belacan cake. Maybe I should change it to say about 2 tbspn belacan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh where did u get the rice cakes from?
    PS I saw the lilies along Leach Hway today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can get at most Asian grocery. I bought a pack at Emma's in Northbridge. They basically prepack the rice in little plastic packs, then you just boil them for about half an hour until the rice is cooked. Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes, then slice and serve

    So are you contemplating dashing across the road to get the lilies?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »